Sunday, October 29, 2006

Letter from a friend Nishant for Everyone

Many many thanx for accepting me as your friend. I would be very happy to visit your place of work, to see you all, to walk hand in hand, to discuss and take up issues together, if you give me chance. Through me, you can also use the platform of The Statesman to make your voice heard in a wider level.

At present, I am concerned with a Career Fund for Child Workers, in the wake of lattest ban on child labour by the Government of India. Instead of going to schools, these poor friends of ours are working to escape from povert. To earn two square meals for themselves, some even for their entire family. I think, coming from a backward tribal district Koraput, you know this problem more than me.

If we stop them working, what's the alternative for them to earn food? What about their future? Hunger is the mother of all crimes. A hungry child denied work may become a beggar, a thief or an easy recruit for the crime network.

Future of a nation lies in the future of its children. It's high time the government should come out with a carreer plan for these rescued child workers. And if the government has not thought of it yet, we, the children, should come forward for our unfortunate friends in need. We should put up an united voice to make our policy-makers sit and take note.

I request you all to carry on a signature campaign for Child Workers' Career Fund and send it to the Prime Minister. If you want, I will be there with you at the end of the campaign.

You can also write me on any children's issue in your areas and whenever possible, I will try to publish it in The Statesman VOICES.

If we cannot be a sun to light up the whole world, let's atleast be small candles to fight the darkness sorrounding us.

With best wishes.

Nishant Nihar
Coordinator, The Statesman (Voices)

Dear Friends!
This was the mail we received in our e-mail address:childreporter@gmail.com
We invite all the children accross the globe to communicate like Nishant. We are thankful to Nishant for his efforts.
With regards
Childreporters